Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Children's Hospital Central California provides a comprehensive array of laboratory-based services for infants, children, and adolescents. We specialize in performing testing on the smallest possible sample sizes in order to limit the amount of blood taken from a patient at any one time and across the duration of the patient's stay. The Department is staffed by approximately 120 team members, including support personnel, Phlebotomists, Processing Specialist, Clinical Laboratory Scientists, Administrators, and Pathologists. We perform over 600,000 tests per year, and our Pathologists perform over 7,500 surgical, autopsy, and cytology cases per year.
The clinical and anatomic laboratories are nationally accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP), the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB), and COLA, the official accrediting agency for our point of care testing program. The laboratories are licensed by the California State Department of Health Services, and the transfusion service is registered with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Laboratory services are provided for both hospitalized patients (inpatients) and outpatients, including those seen by on-campus practices and private physician practices throughout the Central Valley.
Outpatient laboratory services are provided through the Outpatient Laboratory, located on the second floor at the east end of the Hospital. Services are available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Closed on Saturday and Sunday)
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine includes the following laboratories
- Core Laboratory: Includes hematology, coagulation, urinalysis, chemistry, blood gas analysis, and transfusion service.
- Flow cytometry and Immunology
- Molecular biology
- Anatomic and surgical pathology
Other services include
- A comprehensive referral testing department, staffed with individuals who specialize in finding sources for estoteric laboratory tests that are unavailable locally.
- A nationally accredited point of care testing program, wherein direct patient caregivers are trained to perform bedside testing, where appropriate, and their performance is monitored by specially trained Clinical Laboratory Scientists.
- Pediatric Phlebotomy, performed by State-certified phlebotomists with extensive post-certification pediatric training and experience, in order to minimize specimen collection pain and to meet the special needs of pediatric patients.
- A regional provider of sweat chloride testing, a test used to help in the diagnosis of cystic fibrosis.
Clinical Laboratory Scientist Training Program
We have detailed information available on the Clinical Laboratory Scientist Training Program which is generally offered yearly at Children's.
- Phone: 559-353-6105 (Pathology and Laboratory Medicine)
- Phone: 559-353-6081 (Outpatient Laboratory)
- Phone: 559-353-6062 (Client Services)