Friday, June 20, 2008 – Walk more, eat well and you'll live longer. That's the message behind the American Heart Association's
Start! walking movement and employees at Children's Hospital Central California have taken that message to heart.
The Start! Walking Program encourages employees to stay active while at work and to live healthier lives. Walking paths have been set up inside and outside of the hospital. During the last eight weeks, Children's employees have walked or cycled 27,200 miles or one time around the world.
In recognition of their efforts, the Employee Health and Wellness Program at Children's celebrated its Start! Walking stars during an Employee Wellness and Safety Fair.
The awards ceremony highlighted the success of the program. Awards, ranging from trophies to Starbucks gift cards, were presented in several categories.
- Group Discovery – 177 miles
- Pediatric Rehabilitation – 613 miles
- General Accounting – 638 miles
- Gastroenterology – 179 miles
- Physician Practice Services – 543 miles
- Medical Library – 719 miles
- Lourdine Skillin – Physician Practice Services
- 1st Place: Cynthia Perkins – 346 miles
- 2nd Place: Stephanie Scott – 303 miles
- 3rd Place: Laura Nola – 300 miles
- 1st Place: Rose McNeil – 5390 miles
- 2nd Place: Valerio Acevedo – 1109 miles
The Start! Walking Program was so successful, for the second year in a row, the American Heart Association awarded Children's the Fit-Friendly Company Gold-Level Award. This recognition goes to employers who support physical activity, promote a wellness culture and increase healthy eating options at work.
The theme of the Employee Wellness and Safety Fair was "Strength in Balance – Balance Life's Demands." Several dozen vendors provided valuable information on wellness, safety, nutrition, fitness, travel and much more. Employees were able to have a health assessment, which included a blood pressure and cholesterol check and nutrition counseling.
The Start! Walking Program at Children's kicks off another session in the Fall.