Skip to Main Content
Skip Navigation Links
 

Press Room & News Giving News

Kohl's Water Safety Program Receives Donation

Children's Hospital urges year-round water safety and highlights holiday household hazards. 

11/14/2011 

Kohl's, as part of its Kohl's Cares Program, donated $124,157 to support the Kohl's Water Safety Program at Children's Hospital Central California during a Kohl's presents check to Children'spresentation on the importance of year-round water and holiday household safety.

"Now that cooler weather has children indoors more often," said Mary Jo Quintero, Children's water safety program coordinator, "It's important to ensure your home is safe."

 

Many drownings occur during cooler months indoors in buckets, bathtubs, toilets or fish ponds. Quintero said a child was in the hospital recently who nearly drowned in the family's bathtub. She said nearly 15% of Central Valley water-related injuries take place while a child is taking a bath.

Bathtub Safety Tips

  • An adult should always be in continuous visual sight of a child under the age of 6 who is in a bathtub.
  • A bath seat or ring cannot prevent a child from drowning.
  • Touch supervision is required at all times. (You are never farther away than an arm length from the child).
  • Remove any loose items such as wash cloths, toys and sponges after each bath so they don't block the drain and prevent the tub Quintero demonstrates bathtub safetyfrom emptying.

Quintero also said it's important for families to keep toilet lids shut and use toilet locks if you have an infant or toddler in the house.

Carlos Flores, Children's trauma coordinator and Safe Kids Central Valley president, reminded families to keep safety in mind when celebrating during the upcoming holiday season.

Holiday Safety Tips

Eliminate Hazards

  • Button batteries are dangerous to kids and can cause serious injuries if swallowed. Search your home and any place your child may go and keep coin-sized lithium batteries away from them.
  • Keep matches, lighters and other fire sources out of children's reach.
  • Keep clothing, furniture, newspapers or anything flammable at least 3 feet from a fireplace, heater or radiator.
  • Turn off all portable heaters when you leave the room or go to sleep.
  • Never overload electrical outlets.
  • Replace old or frayed electrical wires and appliance cords, and do not cover them under rugs.
  • Store all flammable liquids, such as gasoline, outside and away from the home.
  • Have heating equipment and chimneys inspected and cleaned every year.

Holiday Decorations

  • All decorations should be nonflammable or flame-retardant, and keep them away from heat sources.
  • Do not burn wrapping paper or other packaging in the fireplace.

Candles

  • Candles should only be used under adult supervision.
  • Candles should be placed where they cannot easily be knocked over.
  • Candles should always be out of reach of children.
  • Never leave candles unattended.
  • Never put lit candles on a tree.

Christmas Trees

  • If using an artificial tree, make sure it is flame retardant.
  • Be sure a live tree is fresh; it will have green needles that do not easily fall off.
  • A live tree should only be used until it dries out, usually two weeks or less.
  • Do not place the tree close to a heat source including a fireplace which can dry out the tree quicker.
  • Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times.
  • Do not go near a Christmas tree with an open flame - candles, lighters or matches.

Holiday Lights

  • Check any lights you are reusing for frayed wires, bare spots, broken or cracked parts, or excessive wear, and follow all instructions that accompany holiday lights.
  • Frequently check lights to ensure they are not becoming too hot.
  • Never leave holiday lights on unattended.
  • Keep all cords out of reach of children.
  • If using an extension cord, make sure you follow instructions for its use, and do not overload.
  • When using lights outdoors, make sure the lights have been certified for outdoor use.

*Holiday safety tips courtesy Safe Kids Central Valley 

 

 

 

Sign In